Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ident-A-Kid

When I dropped Griffin off for school yesterday, the director of the preschool mentioned they had no parent volunteers to help with the Ident-A-Kid program the Sheriff's office would be there to do.

My plan was to come home and work on paper piecing orders, however I knew I was needed at the preschool and stayed to help. Sandy, another parent was also able to stay.


The deputy from the Sheriff's Department was to fingerprint and photograph each child. This information is then put into a passport type of book for parents to keep on hand in case an emergency arrives and this information is needed.

Together we worked as a team and managed to get all 24 kids photographed, documented and fingerprinted in about an hour and a half.

The fingerprint ink was very hard to get off of the children's hands. It took lots of soap and scrubbing to get most of it off. All of the kids still had little black smudges on their hands after we were finished. I can only imagine the fun stories they are going to share with their parents about being "fingerprinted" at preschool.

We were all finished by 11:15 so I decided to stay at school to volunteer. I was able to help the director and a couple of teachers with different tasks they needed help with. That was fun.

It was cute watching Griffin in the class room environment and interacting with the different teachers and kids.

What a great day it was!

7 comments:

Shari said...

What a great day........Volunteering at my son's school is one of my very favorite things to do.....although I don't do it as much since he's older now but I still LOVE it!

I love seeing how he is at school with his friends and teachers!

Happy Wednesday!

Bonnie said...

How wonderful you were able to stay and help out. I know it was very much appreciated. I loved volunteering when my boys were little, more so with Scott than Wade though. Who knows, maybe when this generation of young'uns goes to school, old Aunt Bonnie might just volunteer again.

Colleen Wms said...

Great practice for volunteering when he hits Kindergarten! I know it keeps me busy.

Anonymous said...

You are such a great mom. you remind me of how I was with my wee ones. Anything just to be near them and be part of their live. Im still the same way hehe,but as they get older some time they wish I wasn't that way. Oh well to bad =)

Mandy said...

What a great program! It is such a shame we have to take precautions like that these days. I pray those fingerprints never have to be used!

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

oh great!, not even in first grade, and already he has been finger printed, and has his mug shot on file-------(lol)

Anonymous said...

that's a great way to have a unique id of your child. I wish all schools did that.