Thursday, May 20, 2010

For The Birds.

Where we live we are lucky to have a wide variety of birds. I love watching the bird feeder to see what will come to visit.

We frequently have cardinals, blue jays, robins and dove. As I mentioned in an earlier blog post we had a red breasted grosbeak visit the other day too.

I've been keeping an eye out for two other bird species that visited us last year.

We were lucky enough to have BOTH of them visit us yesterday!

My pictures are not that great because I took them through the window and screen. I was afraid if I opened the door they would fly off.


Someone recommended we get one of these bird feeder socks to draw the american gold finch. I put it up a couple of months ago and yesterday they finally visited! You can see the female on the bottom of the sock and the male is sitting on the top. So nice of him to let her eat first.


This spectacularly colored indigo bunting came for a visit yesterday too! I only spotted one of these in the feeder last year.

This year I'm using a new bird seed specially formulated for song birds.

It looks like it's doing the trick!

Happy bird watching ...

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

How awesome! I love bird watching. Of course if I had a feeder we'd get chickens and old ugly blackbirds. At SF I have seen beautiful Red Cardinals and Blue Jays plus the Sandhill Cranes. Have fun with your birds...looking forward to some more pictures.