Thursday, August 23, 2007

Water.

Water. Water. Everywhere.

So ... the other day I needed to run upstairs to get a change of clothes before heading out for the day. Griffin was watching Sesame Street so I decided to just run up really quick to get what I need. When I was up there, I listened downstairs and thought ... mmmm ... he's watching Sesame Street, I will just brush my teeth while I am up here.

Big Mistake.

As I am brushing my teeth, I hear hysterical laughing.
Oh my goodness ... what is he doing?

I run downstairs and discover Griffin sitting in the kitchen sink, having the time of his life as he is spraying the entire kitchen with the water spray nozzel. He was laughing so loud, and having so much fun. I'm slipping everywhere trying to get to him to get the spray nozzel away from here. I was laughing so hard ... it was impossible to get on to him.

Of course, I made him help me clean up the flooded floor (as much as he could) and we once again talked about NOT opening the oven door to climb up on the counters. He is a pro at this ... let me tell you.

The bad thing is ... he did it again this morning.

We are having friends over for a playdate today, so I wanted to clean the downstairs bathroom before they get here. I'm in there cleaning (he's watching Sesame Street again) and all of a sudden the door closes to the kitchen. I really didn't think anything about it, because it's a little game he plays ... shutting the door and me asking to be let in. Anyway ... I thought ... mmmm ... that's probably not good.

I was right.

That booger was once again sitting in the kitchen sink ... spraying away. This time he got into trouble. There wasn't that much water on the floor this time ... and he KNOWS he is not supposed to do this.

Any ideas about keeping him OFF the counters? He's most definately a climber and is quite good at it. I've tried an oven door lock ... they do not work ... once they get hot, it melts the glue away.

Moms ... I'm all ears.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Punish him. Don't laugh anymore at him...it was funny the 1st time, yes I laughed too, but after the first time it's not funny anymore. He could seriously get hurt but the mess it an annoyance too.
Be consistent, put him in time out, whether it's his crib or in his high chair, put him somewhere where he can't see you and he's alone. Sounds mean but consistency is the key, take it from me who didn't remain consistent.

Anonymous said...

Oh and you didn't take a picture of this??

Cindy Matejka said...

I have agree with Jen.... being a former teacher, I'm with her on punishment. He's adorable, but he needs to learn his lesson.

Andi said...

Well...I didn't have to clean up the mess so of course I think it's funny! And where was your camera to take a picture of him with the spray nozzle in hand???

I haven't a clue what the proper punishment would be...how in the world do you keep an active little one in time out??? I have a difficult time getting my dog to behave...yikes!!!

I assume saying NO in a firm, stern voice doesn't work. Good Luck Missy...remember to tell him about this when he's 16!

TK Angels said...

Oh my-I just had theis funny picture in myhead od what was happening. Sorry I laughed since it was funny.

I agree with Jen. It was funny the first time-but he has to learn that it is time to stop.

And I agree-where was the camera?

Take care,
LOve,
Terri

Susie Q said...

Just what I was thinking...where was Missy's camera? Under the water? : )

Uh huh...it was funny the first time but now it has become a game. I am the worst at punishing but it has to be done. Jen is so right. Consistency.
Over and over of you must. And firmly. He is a doll and I would also have a hard time but it is for his safety.

Have you seen that horrible commercial with the kid who sprays the Mom with the shaken soda bottle? She retaliates by spraying him with the sink sprayer. Oh yeah...just what kids need to see. I am betting every Mom in America hates this ad.

Okay, now go kiss G for me but only if he stays off the sink. *grin*

Love,
Sue

beecreative2 said...

HI Missy, I came across your blog from your ebay about me page. I am the mother of 3 and have my share of mishapsaround the house. Yesterday all 3 decided to use a sheet to make our stairs a slidding pond. I thought it was hysterical. They found that without the sheet their little buts got rug burn. They built up some speed. Well, I can assure you it is a BOY THING, the climbing. I have 2 girls and my last is a boy. He starting climbing out of his crib at the good old age of 1. I finally gave in for safety and put a gate up on his door and made his whole room one big crib with a twin mattress on the floor. From what I heard from other mothers of boys it is definitly a boy thing. The only thing lately that has stoped my now 3 1/2 yr old son is swimming everyday. We just moved to Florida. My suggestion would be, when you have to leave the room (god help us moms when we need to use the bathroom) take out a special toy he doesn't usually see. I liked these cardboard blocks that look like bricks and they are a good size and he can build them up as high as he can reach and then knock them down. That should keep him busy for a few min. enough time to take care of business:) I have seen pretty much everything if you would like more advice you can email me at beecreative2@hotmail.com