Thursday, August 09, 2007

Fireflies.




Today I had planned to post about our weekend away to Chicoteague Island, but my camera battery decided to die and I have a very small window of opportunity to post something today.
So ... I decided to post about one of my favorite things about living in Virginia.
Fireflies!!
Living in Florida, I never, ever saw a firefly. Once we moved to Virginia every summer they pay us a visit. I so love fireflies with their tiny little lights that bring sparkle and whimsy to our summer nights.
The other night Mike and Griffin stepped out on the deck to see the fireflies in action ... and then ... Daddy caught one so Griffin could see it up close and personal!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

when we were growing up, Chincot. was the only place we'd go back repeatedly too. We loved it there with the exception of the human eating mosquitos!

Andi said...

How fun! We had fireflies in Indiana when I was growing up but we called them "lightning bugs" and we would catch them in a jar. Daddy would punch some holes in the top so they would get air but couldn't escape and we loved watching them light up after dark!!!

Thanks for letting me know about my blog being black. I think I've got it back up and running now after I changed some settings.

Anonymous said...

That is one of the things I love about Tennessee...fireflies!
I had never seen one either and love to watch them do thier dance at night...the woods behind our house absolutely "twinkle" with their little lights.

Cindy Matejka said...

This is such a sweet photo!

By the way, we don't know if we're having a girl or a boy yet, I'm hoping girl though ;) See you next Friday :)

TK Angels said...

Fireflies was a part of my childhood. I loved watching them fly in the night. Still did not like it when they landed on me *smile*. You just made me realize that as we get older we need to look more at the little things to enjoy. Great pics.

Take care,
Love,
Terri

Cheryl Wray said...

Love the pictures!
We love catching fireflies. Too fun!
And I can't wait to find out about your Ch Island trip. I've always wanted to do that one summer for family vacation.

Susie Q said...

So sweet...this was always one of my favorite Summer activities.

I know that Little G had such fun with Daddy!

Love,
Sue

Sheila said...

We always have fireflies here in Chicago. One of my favorite memories as a kids is catching them with my friends and putting them in a jar with holes in the top. We'd see who could catch the most. Then we'd let them go.
Sometimes we call them lightening bugs.