Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's just a virus ... not!

Yesterday was pretty scary. Griffin woke up with a fever again, he had a rash and just wasn't acting like his normal happy, sweet self. A couple of friends saw him and confirmed he didn't look like himself.

I layed him down for his nap and then went to check on him after a few minutes. He was just laying there looking up in the air. I decided at that very moment I was taking him back to the doctor even though this would be our 3rd visit in less than a month.

Well ... the past two times the doctor said it's "just a virus".

This time ...

He has an ear infection in both ears and a viral infection.

Finally ... we know what's wrong.

When our doctor checked Griffin yesterday she had to remove wax from his ears before she could check his ears. She confirmed an ear infection in both ears. Then she said she wanted to check his white blood count to make sure he didn't have a bacterial infection. His white blood count came back really low, so she confirmed a viral infection. She prescribed a five day antibiotic that will continue to work for an additional five days after he finishes the medication.

I'm a little upset with the doctor from Sunday ... because I just know in my heart that our son has had this since then (or even before). I think she was so busy with so many patients waiting she didn't take the time necessary to find out what was wrong with him.

We didn't have such a great start this morning either. He woke up at 4:15 singing. Well, that was too early to get up and he finally went back to sleep. He woke up again at 6:15 hysterically crying. His fever was 101 degrees and he has a splotchy red rash all over his face and torso. It almost looks like he has a sunburn. Honestly, he's been crying since he woke up. Nothing pleases him. I've tried milk ... juice ... sitting in the chair with him watching cartoons. It's gonna be one of those days.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hey Missy,
I feel for you..and poor little G. It almost sounds like he has measles? I remember when my kids had them years ago. I'll keep both of you in my prayers and hope for the best for little G.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy! I am glad he is better now!!!! It is scary when they are little. Lots of wax and ear stuff before age 5. Hugs, Tricia