Friday, October 21, 2005

Vegetable Soup Kinda Day

I've decided to make Vegetable Soup today. I've never made it ... but it's rainy, dreary and cold out ... the perfect day for Vegetable Soup. I've gotten the crock pot out ... browned the stew meat ... added beef broth, stewed tomatos, two bags of mixed veggies and cut up three small potatos. I think this will be Vegetable Soup. The only problem is ... when I put the lid on, the juice comes over the lid. So, I took some of the juice out, and put the lid back on. Really ... I think I have too much "stuff" in it ... it's not really soupy. Is that bad? I saved the extra juice I took out, just in case I need it for later.

Growing up ... my neighbor Judy McKee used to make Vegetable Soup. I remember it was always a special treat when she made it because she always made enough to share with our family. I wish I had HER recipe. It was the absolute BEST Vegetable Soup in the world.

In our family, our idea of vegetables were corn, mashed potatos and black eyed peas. It was amazing to have Mrs. McKee's Vegetable Soup because we actually ate real vegetables and they were GOOD!

My other neighbor Mrs. Cox used to make fried cornbread ... it was the coolest thing ... she even put a little hole in the middle, so it looked like donuts. I have no clue how to make fried cornbread ... again, I wish I had Mrs. Cox's recipe for fried cornbread. I don't do well with frying things. My husband says I don't get the oil hot enough. I just hate it when the things you are frying "pops" and you get burned.

I feel a sense of accomplishment already today ... not only do I have the Vegetable Soup on simmering ... I've already finished 2 orders and it's only 10:30. My goal is another 4 ... wish me luck!

No comments: