Monday, March 15, 2010

Chicken & Egg Noodles.

Growing up my Daddy or my sister Joy would occasionally make one of my favorite meals ... chicken & egg noodles.


They would boil a whole chicken (bones, skin & all). Then they would remove the chicken from the water and remove it from the bones. Next they would boil the egg noodles in the chicken stock and add the boned chicken back to the pot. They may have added a little salt to the water for taste.

So ... let's see ... water, chicken, salt and egg noodle.

It was nothing fancy ... but really delicious.

Yesterday I decided I wanted to make a version of chicken & egg noodles. My way.

I put boneless, skinless chicken breast in the crock pot. I covered it with broccoli florets, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, salt & pepper. I let it cook for a few hours and then I added mushrooms and a brick of cream cheese about an hour before I served it.


After it was done I served it over egg noodles. The broccoli all but disappeared ... lol. I should have waited to put it in at the end. We'll have leftovers tonight and I will steam some broccoli to add to it for tonight's dinner. I also made corn bread pudding ... it was delicious!


It was tasty and Griffin devoured it.

But you know ... it wasn't the chicken & egg noodles of my childhood. It was a fancied up version that to me, didn't taste as good. I was expecting something different.

I learned a valuable lesson from this ... you just don't mess with tradition.

Next time I want chicken & egg noodles ... I'm making it my Daddy's way!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Sounds yummy both ways. I wish I could cook like your daddy. His chicken and dumplins' were to die for.

Wendy said...

That sounds delicious, i think you should bring it Friday night! LOL

Cecile said...

Your way sound yummy to me...I make chicken and noodles for Cole all the time he loves it too::))

fishing scale said...

Nice posting, I will bookmark it. thanks