Friday, January 01, 2010

Bathroom Re-Do.

My 2010 motto is live in the moment ...

The day after Christmas that is exactly what I decided to do. I've been wanting to re-do the bathroom in our bedroom but just had not taken the time to do it. Well, I got the urge to live in the moment and tackle that project.

The bathroom had this really awful striped wallpaper with a floral border. It just wasn't us and as you will see in the pictures our then 2 year old Griffin thought it was fun to peel the wallpaper from the wall.

So ... on with our project.

I had LOTS of wallpaper to peel from the walls. All it took was water mixed with a little Dawn dishwashing liquid, patience and hard work.


When you have a cute little assistant as a helper it makes hard work all the more fun!


This is the before picture complete with peeling wallpaper. It took awhile to get all of the wallpaper down but once it was wet it came off pretty easily.

After peeling the paper from the walls we had to putty the holes, sand them, putty some more, sand some more ... and finally we could get paint on the walls! This process took about three days.


First we put two coats of bright white ceiling paint on the ceiling and then we painted the walls this beautiful bright green color.


This is another before picture ...


And the after.


And another before picture ... good bye ugly peeling wallpaper!


I love, love, triple love our bathroom re-do! See those wooden shutters? Mike put those up like 5 years ago ... who knew they could stand out and be so pretty?


Our beautiful new green bathroom!


This is the ugly light fixture that was in the bathroom. Well, actually this is in the other (equally ugly) bathroom upstairs. I just forgot to take a picture of the real one from this bathroom.


And the gorgeous new light fixture that Mike replaced it with!


We even got a new water faucet.

I am so, so happy we conquered this project!

Care to see our next challenge?


This is the equally (if not more) ugly wallpaper in the other bathroom upstairs. I can not wait to get rid of it. I'm thinking of painting this bathroom a really pretty buttery yellow or a pretty blue.

I'm so excited about this change ... can't wait to tackle the next one!

9 comments:

deb famularo said...

Happy New Year Missy! What a project huh, but it looks great!
We just went through the same exact thing in our master bath. (And kitchen.)
We're trying to sell the house, so our realtor said the wallpaper had to go. It's sage green now too!
Cross your fingers, our lives are on hold it seems till we sell this house! xOxO deb

Wendy said...

WOW What a great feeling and it looks great! Keep up the good work and I will let you know when I am ready for you to do mine, i hate painting. Griffin had fun I know. Heres to the New Year and lots of Projects.

Sue said...

Happy New Year Glave family.
I love that instead of a New Year's Resolution you have opted for a new motto for each year! I think it's a great idea.
You did a wonderful job on your bathroom.

Cecile said...

Hey Girlie!
I love the green in your bathroon it's almost the same as my living room..You have made a fabulous change::))Enjoy!!

Judi said...

Wow It turned out great Missy!! I love the color.

Judi said...

I have not chosen my motto yet.

Anonymous said...

Your bathroom looks really great - love the green!
Jodie

Colleen Wms said...

Wow! What a great project. The color is great. The kids bathroom is a green which leant itself to a fern picture over a claw bathtub that I really loved very nicely.

You're right about the shutters. They really pop now. Hope you keep the momentum!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Hey can you post some more photos of your "new" bathroom? I'd like to see the floor. We're thinking of the same color for our bathroom. Yours is the closest I've found to what we'd like on the Internet. Looks GREAT!