Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Little Blue Bird.

Our bird feeder stays pretty busy with the different variety of birds that visit ... dove, cardinal, bluejay, robin, black birds ... and even more that I can't name. I even saw a woodpecker the other day.

Our hummingbird feeder stays busy too ... although we've had a little bit of a cold spurt the past few days and I haven't seen any hummingbirds out there lately.

I have to admit my favorite daily visitor is this beautiful bright blue bird that pays us a visit right before the sun sets ...


I took this picture through our screened windows, so it's not very clear.

Isn't this bird gorgeous? He's bright blue with a yellow beak and sings THE most beautiful song.

I've tried searching online to see if I can find out what kind of bird it is. I thought it might be either an Eastern Blue Bird or a Mountain Blue Bird, but they both have black beaks. This one has a bright yellow beak.

Is there a bird enthusiast out there that can tell me what kind of bird this is?

I took a picture of a bluejay too ...


See how drab blue the bluejay looks compared to the other blue bird?

I'd just love to know who our little visitor is ...

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

That bird is absolutely gorgeous. I will try to research it for you, too. I've never seen one so vibrant. I would so enjoy a bird feeder, but we don't have that many varieties here. I did hear in owl in the old "chicken" tree. Hopefully I can get a picture of him.

Bonnie said...

That bird in your feeder is an Indigo Bunting. They come to your area for just the summer season. My co worker Bill helped me figure that out. I went to ask.com and it pulled up a picture with the same bird. And then Bill told me to look up Painted Bunting. Check that one out....it's absolutely gorgeous too. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to see one of those.

deb famularo said...

omg! that bird is gorgeous. I've never seen one so blue! My friend Melanie (who designs for KOTC too) has this beautiful bird who showed up on her porch. They called and this "bird" guy who picked it up twice, and twice it escaped and flew back to their house!!! I guess it adopted them! I'll send Melanie over to your blog!You have to see this bird of hers (she's not thrilled either!). lol
Have a great day! xOxO deb

Anonymous said...

missy,
i found this website that looks like it could be the same bird, it is called an indigo bunting, this site has a sound file you can listen to also http://www.naturesound.com/birds/pages/bunting.html

good luck finding out what it is called.

jen from pa
ljred@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

i totally didn't see bonnie's post that said it was an indigo bunting, sorry!

jen from pa
ljred@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

Wow, that bird looks fake Missy. Very pretty bird. We don't have those here in Jersey