Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year's Day.

New Year's Day found us at home ...

Mike was busy working on the addition. I put the final holiday decorations away, organized some scrapbooking supplies and posted a couple of things to Ebay that I was in my stash to post. Griffin enjoyed a fun day of playing with his trains, cars, trucks, planes and helicopters.

We enjoyed a delicious dinner of ham, black eyed peas, fried okra and corn casserole.


Eating black eyed peas on New Year's Day has always been a tradition with both my family and Mike's family. I've asked several of my friends if it is a tradition with their families, and I'm surprised when they say no. I'm thinking it might be a southern thing. Does your family eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day?


I made Paula Deen's Corn Casserole last night too. It's really good and very easy to make. Here's the recipe if you are interested:

Paula Deen's Corn Casserole

1 can cream corn
1 can kernal corn (drained)
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 stick melted butter

Mix all ingredients together and pour into pan
I use an 11" x 7" casserole dish

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes

Optional: Sprinkle with cheddar cheese the last five minutes of baking. (I never add cheese, but it is on her recipe).

And since it was kind of a lazy day yesterday, I played around on Scrapblog.com and created a new banner ... do you like the one that I'm using now or the new one better?


This is the new banner I created yesterday


This is the banner I'm currently using

Well it's day two of this brand new year ... I'm truly looking forward to discovering what this year, 2009 holds for us.

5 comments:

Judi said...

I like the new one better. I am going to be doing something with my Header. Not sure what yet.

Bonnie said...

Your blog made me hungry. This is the 2nd year in a row that we haven't eaten black-eyed peas or anything traditional. We went to go eat at Fred's thinking they would have the good old southern traditional foods, but they were closed, so we ended up at the Catfish place on 98. It was good. Your's looks way better. I'm glad you had a wonderful New Year with both your boys home.

Mary Lou said...

Hey Missy! I like the banner you already had better than the new one. That's just my little ole opinion. I had the black eyed peas yesterday too. It's one tradition for my family I'm trying to hold on to.

Deborah said...

I do like the new one!

Anonymous said...

I like the one you're using now better. I still haven't visited that site yet...I must!