Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Walk Outside.

Mike and Griffin were outside working on the tractor ... I had time to just sit there, look around and think about the area in which we live.

I love where we live ... we have 10+ acres of property and it's covered with trees, flowers and animals. We even have a little creek that runs through our property. You never know when looking outside what animal you might see ... deer, rabbits, squirrels, and many types of birds. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we never see that black bear I fear seeing one day!

I thought I would take a little walk around the outside of the house and share some of my favorite things ...


Mike and Griffin working on the tractor ...


Okay ... so I was bored ... my rock creation.


This is a great flag created out of old barn tin ... I love Americana stuff ... and this hangs on the front of our house.


Our friend
Robin got us this great sign as a wedding gift. She was a bridesmaid in our wedding.


Did you know I collect Coca Cola memorabilia? I do ... even outside! We actually have two of these benches on the front porch. Many years ago I went on a business trip with Mike to New Hampshire. When he was working I took a drive and ended up in Vermont. That's where I found these. I love these benches ... it's a great gathering place when friends are over!


Remember my Mother's Day gift ....


My little garden is thriving ... yesterday I saw little itty bitty tomatos on the plant!


My hydrangea is sprouting flowers for the first time ... that makes me happy!


See this little icky bug? It's a Japanese Beetle and they are HORRIBLE!! The other day Mike came into the house and said "They're Back" and I knew exactly what he was talking about. They have infested our yard the past 2 years. We think they were larvae in some dirt we had delivered a couple of years ago. They attack our butterfly bushes, crepe myrtles, olive trees and fruit trees. Mike does everything he can do every summer to keep them under control. It is not easy. Though not a "favorite" thing ... I wanted to share.


We have a huge area of wild blackberries growing ... they are so pretty! Once they are ripe, the birds always get to them before we do.


And I do not know what it is about this rock ... but I love it. It sits under some pines covered with ivy ... I think it's just looks so whimsical. One day I will plant flowers or something around it.

There are many, many more things I love about our property and yard ... these are just a few. I hope you enjoyed our little walk around.

13 comments:

Wendy said...

That's really cool you shared your yard, I will have to do that one day.

So happy for you on your Hydrangea, I have always wanted one, maybe I'll get one this year, any suggestions? I hear they are very hard to grow.

Happy Sunday!

Missy Glave said...

Wendy ... I wish I had some suggestions about growing hydrangeas. Honestly, I do not have a green thumb at all and if I remember to water them then that's a good thing.

I'm actually surprised we have flowers!!

Bonnie said...

Loved the tour. Makes me homesick for New England. So many of the wild things (blackberries for instance) grew wild around where I grew up. I'm glad you enjoy it so much. I know I would. And trust me everyone, Missy does not have a green thumb. Or at least she didn't until she moved. You are doing really well with plants now Missy. Keep up the good work. Love you guys.

Simple Man said...

Did you know that you can change the color of your hydrangea by changing the soil pH.....

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

Thanks for the minnie tour of your 10 acrers. My Parents retired to upper-lower michigan, and lived on 10 1/2 acrers. First thing my dad did was order 1000 pine tree seedlings and he walked all over his property punching holes in the ground and planting the seedlings which were 4-5 inches tall---some 20 years later he had his own memorial forrest, loaded with deer, wild turkeys, all kinds of birds, and a great place for me to visit and unwind from city life.

Judi said...

I love the walk photos. Thanks so much for sharing. Keep them coming. I love Hydrangea. I wonder if i can grow them here.

Bonnie said...

Hey Missy, just wondering when you are doing your treasure sale? I just checked your site again and didn't see anythng. Keep me posted.

Cecile said...

You have a beautiful yard:))

Cecile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cecile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill LaFaye said...

Thanks for the grand tour:)
My favorite is the flag..very cute!

The rock under the tree is very beautiful..is it big enough to sit on?

About Me said...

I love your yard. It is so pretty. My Katlyn would say that you have Fairies living around the little rock so don't disturb them. She says that they would get water from the dew off of the leaves. So be careful.

Rose DesRochers said...

I just love the bench.