Monday, June 25, 2007

Southern Thangs.


I was tagged by Andi to share some "Southern Thangs" ...

Well ... you could say I know a little something about being Southern. Considering I was born and raised in Central Florida for the first 36 years of my life we lived in Winter Haven, FL. And I would like to point something out ...

FLORIDA IS THE SOUTH!!

Not many people think of Florida as "the south" ... but it is as south as you can get ... lol.

Now ... these "Southern Thangs" are coming from a gal that wore this seafoam green Cypress Gardens Southern Belle dress (complete with hoop mind you) to her Senior Prom at Disney World. And yes ... that is my dear sweet husband Mike ... we are high school sweethearts (been together 22 years).

So ... here goes ... not sure if this is the way I'm "supposed" to do it ... but it's how I'm doin' it.

What I know about "Southern Thangs" ...

First off ... FAMILY is the most important thing. We love our families ... and would do anything for them. Like most southern children I called my Mother by the name of Momma. And I called my Father by the name of Daddy. Still do. Even though I'm almost 40 years old and they are both deceased. They will ALWAYS be my Momma and Daddy.

FOOD ... now that's a biggie ... I could write a book on southern food. We have our FRIED okra, FRIED green tomatos, peas with snaps and cornbread. Now, there are lots of other southern foods ... like neck bones and rice ... but that might gross you out. I was raised on southern food. And I love it to this day.

Southern children know shopping carts are called buggies. And they know when you say "gimme some sugar" it doesn't mean to pass that fine white granulated stuff. They know "gimme some sugar" means give me a kiss.

Words such as "Hey", "ya'll", "yon't" are freely scattered among our normal every day way of speaking. Although some of us try to clean it up a bit when not around other southerners.

We have memories of eating watermelon cut in half out on the picnic table with our spoons and salt shakers. We have memories of running barefoot eating popsicles as they dripped gooey, sweet goodness down our sticky little arms.

And you want something to drink? How about some BREWED sweet iced tea. None of the fruity flavored instant mess for us. BREWED sweet iced tea is most definately the Housewine of the South.

Afternoon thunderstorms is another southern thang. Oh my yes ... you can count on it. Every afternoon you can count on a shower or thunderstorm to come through ... but in the south rain dries up quickly and we'd be right outside again ... in no time flat.

And finally KINDNESS ...

Kindness matters in the south. Some folks call it southern hospitality. It's so very important to be kind and show others you care about them. Doesn't matter if it's family, neighbors or the newspaper delivery person. Just be kind and treat others like you want to be treated is ingrained in southern children.

Okay ... that's a little bit about what I know about "Southern Thangs" ...

Care to share yours?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would share if I had anything southern to share...I'm from NJ and we're not kind, ROFLMAO! We're abrupt and rude

Sue said...

Ok..well I'm not from the south..but I've been living in it for the last two years. Ya'll are the nicest, sweetest people in the nation! lol...really.. that is something that I noticed right away when I moved here. Kindness, caring people are everywhere here in the south.
As a "yankee" I was not used to this, but am so happy I moved here.
The food...OMG...so hard to stay ona diet here! lol Ya'll have great food...chess pie is one of my favorites and you can't go anywhere without seeing Macaroni and cheese on the menu or buffet! (Jack in the Box even offers fried mac and cheese!)
Love Love LOVE the afternoon thunder storms..had a good one today and more on the way!
I do miss some things from the north...fresh seafood...and I mean FRESH caught salmon. Not fresh-frozen. Also...having tarter sauce with my fries. I've tried to get that here, people think I'm a nut..lol.. but in WA state,everyone eats them that way.
But for wonderful, friendly, kind and generous people, you can't beat the south!

Andi said...

Oh my sweet Southern Belle Missy!!! I love your post...and yes, Florida is the South!!!

I also adore the prom picture of you and Mike. I think it's so cool that you were high school sweethearts!

Cheryl Wray said...

Love your list....and every one of those are SO true!!!!
I had a big plate of fried green tomatoes last week and they were SO good!!!! And, yes, people are truly kind down here. I'm sure there are nice people all over the world, but I can't imagine them any nicer than in the South.
(LOVE that prom dress!!)

TK Angels said...

Uhh-yeah-Florida is as south as you can get :) Love the post and I enjoyed viewing Fort Griffin. Great job dad.

Family is the most important thing I agree.

Take care.
Love,
Terri

Susie Q said...

Love your list too...yup, people are just darned nice in the South. Polite to a fault!
The brewed ice tea is the best.
The green beans in the South are the best too. Up North they have no flavor at all : )

Send us one of those good old thunder storms would ya? We are still in a drought!

Is G having fun at Fort Griffin?
: )

Love,
Sue

Sandy said...

oh, this is so funny!!
when we were in Pennsylvania last week, a group of the lady sponsors went to CVS for some supplies and one of them said, "let me get a buggie"! Well, the clerk at CVS said, "you're not from around here, are you, because that is a CART, not a BUGGIE" and we laughed!!!

I think it is hilarious that you mentioned that, because I never really thought about it before. Even my southern sister, who has lived in Baltimore for the past 16 years now says CART!! lol

Sandy said...

p.s. i think people say Florida is not SOUTHERN because there are so many transplants there... it is RARE to find a native Floridian, isn't it?

Bonnie said...

Being from Massachusetts but living most of my life in the south, I still consider myself a yankee. However, Missy is true "GRITS" (meaning Girls Raised In The South). Also a very southern food which I have come to love. I have to agree with Sandi about not finding too many native Floridians and that Florida is the melting pot of the South. However, I am fortunate enough to be married to a native Floridian, Missy's brother Jerome, who by the way, says Missy forgot to mention Fried Chicken as southern. Missy will always be a "good ole" southern girl and that is why we love her.