Friday, September 08, 2006

Seriously ... WHAT was I thinking???

Yesterday Mike had to make a business trip to Danville ... about 2.5 hours from our house. While he was in the shower I had the urge for Griffin and me to go with him. Something told me we needed to be together yesterday and since I had just watched Oprah the day before and she was talking about "God Whispers" ... I thought I should listen to my inner voice. I walked upstairs and presented Mike with the idea. He told me there is nothing to do there ... why don't you wait until I stay overnight that way you and Griffin will have somewhere to relax when you are finished exploring the city.

I should have listened ... but I didn't.

So we drove the 2.5 hours there ... dropped Mike off at his meeting and headed to explore. I guess that was about 11:00.

Our first stop was Hobby Lobby ... I've heard of Hobby Lobby, but I've never been into one. It was a WONDERFUL store ... oh my gosh ... so much stuff. But get this ... Griffin SCREAMED the entire time we were in there. He doesn't do that. And for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he was screaming. As we were paying for the one Christmas ornament we selected I remembered ... he's teething and he had not had Motrin yet. So ... we get to the car and I give him Motrin.

Then we headed over to the mall. I am NOT a shopper ... I do not like shopping. I actually forgot that until yesterday. So, we get to the mall ... it's what I call a regular mall ... you know JC Penny, Sears, Belks, etc. We walked the first floor and I didn't see a play area or a food court ... so I asked someone ... oh yeah it's up on the 2nd floor. So, Griffin and I took the elevator upstairs. Their food court had only 3 selections ... and they have NO play area. So Griffin and I shared bourbon chicken and rice. I then let him ride the train and horse ... you know the kind that you put 50 cents in and it lasts 20 seconds. Then I put my screaming child back into the stroller. He wanted to play ... he wanted to run around ... but there was no where for him to do so. So ... we walked the top portion of the mall. I found him two shirts at Sears for only $1.50 each ... bargain ... that's my kind of shopping.

So ... I look at the clock and it's only 1:30 ... what are we going to do with another 4-5 hours?

I remembered seeing a Toys 'R Us ... so we headed there. We walked the aisles ... Griffin was really taken with the Dancing Elmos and the dinosaurs. But ... we selected a large Tonka Toy Truck.

So ... we are finished ... I load Griffin back into the car and he immediately fell asleep ... it's 2:30. I'm thinking he might sleep until Mike is out of his meeting, so I drove back to his meeting site. Griffin was still sleeping ... I finished my book. About 4:00 G woke up ... what to do now? I called Mike just to let him know we were in the parking lot ... so Griffin and I got out of the car and began to explore the parking lot. Finally about 4:20 Mike came out ... and we headed home. Another 2.5 hours in the car and we were home around 7:00.

Griffin was WIRED and Mike and I were sooooooo tired. I'm still tired this morning.

Oh my gosh ... I made such a BAD decision yesterday by going ... but I guess we do learn from our mistakes. And something told me we needed to be TOGETHER yesterday.

Today ... I'm going to let Griffin have as much outdoor time as he wants ... and then I will work as hard and as fast as I can while he's napping.

From now on ... I will listen to Mike when he thinks something isn't a great idea. Sometimes Daddy knows best.

1 comment:

Jolene George said...

Oh my! I feel your pain! What a long exhausting day that must have been. Let the boy play then you both can take a nap!