Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

Although my Daddy passed away in 1998, I would like to remember him today on Father's Day.

This is a layout I created many, many years ago when he was still living. He loooved to eat.



I was very lucky to have such a wonderful father. My mother passed away in 1976 he became my sole parent. My dad was 45 when I was born, so I grew up with an older parent. He was from Alabama, a farm boy ... he was such a hard worker.

I was so lucky ... not only was he my parent, he was my best friend. I actually lived at home with him until the day I was married. I was 27 years old. Daddy, Mike and I used to do everything together. Every Saturday my Daddy and I would go yard saling together. Those are memories I will have forever.

I remember buying my first brand new car. I really wanted a Trans Am ... but when I took it for a test drive, I realized ... it only has 2 doors and it would be very hard for my Daddy to get in and out of the back seat. So ... I chose a 4 door Grand Am instead.

One of my fondest memories of him is from when I was younger. He used to cut other people's yards. Where I'm from we called it "mowing the grass". He had several yards on Eagle Lake that he would mow every Saturday. Sometimes he would let me go with him. While he was mowing, I would watch the peacocks, pick up rocks or talk with the people that he mowed for. He mowed grass for other people up until the day he died.

Daddy's pet name for me was "Doll". I can not even tell you how much I wish I could hear him say "Hey Doll" right this very minute.

You may think it strange that an almost 40 year old woman would call her father "Daddy". I'm a southern girl, he will forever and always be my Daddy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember that layout!! =) Hugs to you from another girl missing her Daddy on Father's Day. They are surely watching over us. Tricia