Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fun Class Project.

Griffin's first grade class has been studying different famous people over the past couple of months. One day I was blog hopping and came upon this post and thought it was a great idea. I contacted his teacher and asked if she wanted to do something similar.

She was going to be reviewing the famous people they had learned about and she invited me into the classroom to do a similar fun project.

{I have to say ... I LOVE being room mom this year!}

So this is what I came up with. I created "Paper People" for the famous people they were studying. Here you will see Eleanor Roosevelt, George Washington Carver, Christopher Columbus and Benjamin Franklin.

These are the sample pages I made so the children could refer to them when they were putting their paper people together.


Earlier in the day Mrs. S asked the students to choose one of these famous people to write about. When I got to their classroom the children were given a kit with their famous person's paper person inside it.

The plan included allowing the students to use the Cricut die cutting machine to cut out the accessory that went with their famous person. I really think the kids enjoyed doing this.

This is a picture of the kits I created for each of the famous people.


I made 16 of each (yes 64!!). The children will receive one of each of the kits, however there was only time for them to create the one they had written about earlier in the day.

Mrs. S gave each of the students a piece of paper they were to decorate with their famous person and then attach their written assignment to it as well.

They turned out SO cute!

I was able to get a few pictures of the completed projects.

This is Griffin's ... he chose Benjamin Franklin.


This is Annabelle's ... she chose Christopher Columbus.


This is Ava's ... she chose Eleanor Roosevelt.



The children were very creative and it was a super fun project!

With that in mind I thought I would share examples of the finished paper people and how you can make your own.

I used my Cricut Die Cutting Machine with the two paper doll cartridges. Paper Doll Dress Up (PDDU) is the one I used most often. I also used the Everyday Paper Doll (EDPD) cartridge as well.

A helpful hint ... tiny pieces cut a couple of each for each kit. For instance the necklace I probably included at least ten "pearls" cut from a single whole punch.


ELEANOR ROOSEVELT
Page 38 PDDU Dress
Page 38 PDDU Hat
Page 38 PDDU Shoes
Page 67 EDPD Hair
Page 30 PDDU Suitcase
Necklace is just single whole punches


GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER
Page 32 PDDU Jacket
Page 32 PDDU Pants
Page 32 PDDU Shoes
Page 32 PDDU Shirt
Page 46 PDDU Hair
Page 44 PDDU Mustache


On the Benjamin Franklin I have to give a great big THANK YOU to my Facebook friend Katya for sharing the creative idea of how to create him. With her help it was very easy to figure out how to make him.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
Page 59 PDDU Jacket
Page 40 PDDU Shirt
Page 41 PDDU Tights/Slim Pants
Page 62 PDDU Pants
Page 62 PDDU Shoes
Page 47 PDDU Hair (just the back part)
Buttons are made using a single hole punch


I was in a time crunch when it was time to create the final paper person so I did a Google search for Cricut Christopher Columbus and I was *delighted* to find this blog post with a creative idea for Christopher Columbus!!

CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS
Page 46 PDDU Shirt
Page 46 PDDU Tights/Slim Pants
Page 46 PDDU Shoes
Page 46 PDDU Belt
Page 44 PDDU Hair
Page 44 PDDU Hat
Page 44 PDDU Ship

Happy Creating ...

8 comments:

Andi said...

Adorable! What a great project and so creative. I know the students loved making the little paper people to go with their stories. And they're so cute! I'm certain the teacher LOVES having you as a room mom!

Crafting Katie said...

These are absolutely adorable! Thank you so much for sending me over here! What an awesome room mom you are. I bet the kids LOVED these!!!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!! :)

Wendy said...

These are soooo cute, I know the kids loved making them. It is something the kids will always remember!

Bonnie said...

Once again you have shown how amazingly creative and caring you are. I'm with Andi...I'm sure the teacher LOVES having you as the room mom. And the kids did such an awesome job putting them all together.

goodgirl said...

I love this. I am sure Griffin's teacher really appreciates you. I will have to share this with the first grade teachers at my school...they are always doing cute projects.

Debby said...

Missy, these are adorable! I wish I had a mom like you when I taught first grade! Good job! I'm sure they will remember the activity forever! The teacher will for sure!

Katya said...

What great little historic figures you made. LOL you're welcome on the Ben Franklin I didn't mind helping at all plus the paper doll cartridges are some of my faves I can always go back to those. Great job. I know the teachers love us crafty moms in the classroom. TFS.
-Katya
Kattyxotica.blogpsot.com